If you would like to stay in touch and receive the latest updates for upcoming courses join the list here.
Just a couple of months after completing my first year at photography school I had two photography stories published in Marie Claire Australia, a total of thirteen pages. Just two years later I signed a publishing contract for my first book Italian Joy, a monography of my life in Italy published by Penguin Australia.
Thirteen years have passed since my first photographic story was published and I have since had my photography (fashion, interiors and travel) published in hundreds of magazines, journals and newspapers worldwide including Australia, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Greece, South America and published 6 books with my photography and have my 7th on its way!
How did I do it? I have been asked this questions hundreds of times.
During the past 13 years I have had the chance to work closely at all levels of image making with the magazine and publishing industry including art directors, publishers, journalists and editors and in this ONE DAY WORKSHOP I plan to share with you what I have learnt.
Workshop: Get Published
With: Carla Coulson and two industry guest speakers, an art director and editor
Date: Saturday 8th December 2012
Location: The School, 85 Dunning Ave Rosebery, NSW, Australia
Time: 9am-6pm includes lunch
Who is it for: Anyone interested in having their images published in magazines and books, all levels of photographers welcome
What’s In Store for you:
- In this one day semimar I will teach you how I had my first photographic stories published and how I have used the same technique to publish further stories throughout the years
- The formula and philosophy behind magazines and how you can learn the building blocks that are fundamental to creating your own stories no matter what type of photography you are interested in publishing
- The benefits and rewards of having your photography published in magazines
- What makes up an editorial story?
- How having your work published as editorial stories can assist you to grow your business or obtain advertising work
- Learn how to find the right ‘fit’ for your work
- How to ‘team up’ with other professionals and have easier access to your work being published in wider variety of publications
- How to create your own photographic story from A-Z whether it be interiors, food, fashion, portraiture or travel
- How to tell a story with your images
- How to pitch a story to a magazine
- Presenting your work and creating a professional image
- The in’s and out’s of photographer’s agents and syndicating agencies
- How to have your photography published in books
- The business of books agents/rights/royalties
- The changes in the past few years of the magazine and book publishing industry and how you can benefit from it as a photographer
- 2 guest speakers from the Australian magazine industry will join us to share their knowledge on the magazine industry of different aspects of the industry
- A short evaluation session of 2 attendees work that will benefit everyone on how to improve your photos to have them published.
- Lunch from Mike’s kitchen and morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
- Questions and answers on any queries you have regarding having your images published - I am an open book on this subject
- A limited number of places only.
Carla Coulson – About
Published Work – Gallery
$649 Australian Dollars
If you would like to join us please get in touch with me asap at firstname.lastname@example.org