Who wouldn’t want to be a photographer?? We get to go to great places, meet incredible people, participate in amazing shoots and work our own hours.. Sounds like the best job in the world.. And most days it is. But what is the reality of working as a photographer?
Any of you thinking of taking the plunge in 2012 here is a little overview of what you need to know to make it as a photographer. I don’t want to freak you out!!
So many people not involved in this industry don’t see what the big deal is about being a photographer. Isn’t it just a couple of clicks here and a couple of clicks there??
Well the answer folks is a giant NO!! Being a full-time working photographer requires hardwork, planning and most of all a burning passion..
Here’s Carla’s List of what you need to know to succced as a professional photographer.
1. A Clear Picture of what field of photography you want to do (ie, travel, food, fashion etc)
2. Your own style of photography
4. Money (to finance all those delicious cameras you want to buy)
5. Camera gear to suit your field of photography and you need to know your stuff
6. Presentation – Your work needs to be visible to the public so you need an online presence of your best work
7. Team Up – A community of people in your field that you can work with and help each other.
(ie I regularly work with journalists, make-up artists, stylists)
8. Work Ethic
.. I like to think I have never let any of my clients down in all the years I have been working as a photographer. You are only as good as your last job so do what you have promised.
9. Understand money streams – There are many alternative ways to earn money as a photographer. Including royalties from book sales, photo libraries and agents on-selling your photographic stories.
10. You need to know how to work with your subjects and never lose your cool. You’re the director and you are there to bring out the best in your subject.
11. Photographer’s Agents – To be respresented or not. It is a photographers’s personal choice if they want to be represented. Depends on where you want to go and how you want to live your life.
13. Set Backs – Know what to do when things go wrong.
14. Pricing, Paperwork and Model releases
.. Uggh the thought of paperwork.. This is a vital part of life as a working photographer. Paperwork covers your back and makes everything clear upfront. PUT IT IN WRITING.
15. Keeping Accounts – As I mentioned in point 3 if you plan to work as a photographer you need to be clear that this is a business as much as a creative art. You need to know how to keep accounts and run a business.
16. Have fun – This is one of the most important things we need to hold onto. We started in this photography thing because we love images. Great images come in fun atmospheres and through people doing what they love.
Always have fun..
Make a Plan