I am blogging to day as super proud Aunty and photographer! Super proud Aunty probably will outdo the photographer today so let me introduce this divine creature, my beautiful niece Isabella.
Many Italian Joy fans will know her as the deliriously happy water baby sliding down the water slide on page 232 and the cute little munchkin with the gap in her teeth off to the pool in Chasing A Dream on page 146 (pic at the end of this blog post).
My nieces and nephews are some of my favourite subjects and as long as I have had a camera in my hand we have donned our togs headed to the beach, pool or Mediterranean to take pics. When I look back through my negatives, I see little sea creatures with their funny goggles and toothless grins, and a long line of brightly coloured pool toys that have witnessed their transformation into fine men and women.
This year we took pics all the same but stayed out of the water and had some grown-up fun. I called my dear friend and make-up artist and had ourselves a little gal time. You can see Eliza my other adorable niece’s retro Hawaiian look here.
We started with barely there make-up and my clever make-up artist friend created these 4 hair changes with a flick of her hair brush, tucking hair behind her ears, adding a little plait, bringing a piece of hair forward and then going for the messy look.
She of the mesmerizing look. Isabella has always had the ability to look right into the camera and I can’t get enough of it.
We couldn’t resist a little dive into the vintage wardrobe for a new look, a stronger lip and a low bun.
And a little Frida Kahlos inspired moment is always a heartbeat away with me and super cute niece chose it on her own.. Be still my beating heart! A high ponystail and bright scarf, another bright lip to accentuate her gorgeous mouth and voila a new look.
1. The first four shots were taken using window light. I had Isabella stand very close to the large windows in my sisters lounge-room and used the light fall off so as not to see details in the background.
2. I asked Isabella to choose some images from hundreds of photos where she liked the hair and make-up and the styling and that’s where we started.
3. The make-up artist created a ‘natural’ make-up in the first four shots that accentuated her natural beauty and has a no-make-up look. If you look hard you can see eye shadow on her eyes and a beautiful rose lip colour.
4. I wanted to create simple portraits that were all about her beauty so in the first four shots I simply moved her in respect to the camera to create different ‘shapes’.
5. In photo 5 we stepped outside and used a covered verandah to achieve this light. I exposed for the left side of her face. You will notice the light quality is totally different to the window light used in the top 4 shots. .
6. I used F2.8 for the first 4 shots on my 24mm-70mm lens. Shot on my Canon 5D Mark II
Isabella full of music Copyright Carla Coulson Chasing A Dream
I love my nieces (and nephews) to pieces.
“Why should I marry? One marries to have children, but I already have children! My nieces and nephews are my children.” Salman Khan