Taking photos of couples or more than one person can sometimes look easier than it is.
But if you have a handful of techniques or ways of working you can overcome the difficulties of getting two people to radiate with authenticity, happiness and love!
When I set out to take pictures I want them to feel real. To make this happen I plan ahead with ideas, I think about the shoot and where we are shooting and what kind of situations could take place to provoke emotion and connection between the couple.
All Photos Copyright Carla Coulson
These pics were taken in Sydney recently at the Yacht club where I held the Picture This workshop. This is a real couple (the cute young guy is my gorgeous nephew) and his beautiful girlfriend and they are in love.
When a couple are really connected it is easy to get them to have fun together to create images.
Here’s what I do:
1. I have a pinboard full of images of love and another one with poses I love. Based on the mood, the location, the couple and the styling I will select or research images of couples ‘connecting’ that I can use for my inspiration board.
2. I give them things to do like in the above shot. I am not shy about asking someone to piggy-back their girlfriend (if I feel they are strong enough) because when you ask people to do things stuff happens!
3. I shoot the ‘in between’ moments when they think the shot is over and they are relaxing and being themselves.
4. I ask them to do the same thing over and over again till they go delirious and I give some magic.
5. I will ask one to do something to the other one that she has no idea about. Surprise!
Working with couples should be fun and based on the situation just tailor, add water and stir!
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”